Love these sorts of names..

OK OK OK, We are late on this story. But I had to look up how to spell Skaneateles… And spell check gives me Statelines as a correct spelling. And to top it off the report came in from our trusty Woody Boaters John and Kim Kadimik, and I never get that spelling right either. For gods sakes folks! First.. Lets talk Indian names. Can’t we just change them.. Every emigrant that came into Ellis Island changed there names. Even my Great Grand Parents. Schmits, I am now Smith, Why cant Skaneatles just be called Skantown or Eatless….There we can make it a diet town? And John and Kim.. You are getting Cher status. You are now just John and Kim. Period. Or John Kim Kad… Done.. OK, enough on that, you want boat on boat action, not a spelling bee. So here goes, the shots have been in the fridge so they are new to you!

That crazy Santa.

Here is the report from John Kim Kad…
“We went up to Skaneateles NY this past Sat to visit our friends at the Finger Lakes Chapter.  There was a get together at  the home of FLC member Steve Shehadi.   Steve has a 4000 sq ft collection of over 100 beautifully restored outboard motors dating back to 1914.

Two Floors Of Motors

And more moters..

He also has various cars, trucks, boats, stickley furniture and tons of very cool stuff.  Peter Hunn, Could’nt just be Hun.. oh nooo had to add an n… noted outboard authority and author of 7 books on the subject, did a slide presentation and talk.

Peter Hunn, Kim and Steve Standing in front of some boxes with arrows pointing at them.

He spoke mainly about prewar Evinrudes and other manufacturers.  Well known engine restorer, Art DeKalb, who restored many of Steve’s outboards, traveled down from Pulaski, NY to answer questions.  A tasty lunch was catered by the Sherwood Inn and enjoyed by all.

Talking and eating and learning. Why could school not always be like this. Oh, and be surrounded by cool stuff.

A Special thanks go out to Steve Shehadi and his wife Lucia, Janice Miller pres of the the Finger Lakes Chapter, and  Shirley Marsden.   After we left we went into the town of Skaneateles where they hold the show, the lake and the town are beautiful.”

Skantown, Skanville. Eatles town.. Whatever you call it, its a cool town on a cool lake with cool boats and cool folks.

There’s the report. Thanks to the Kads, OK wait, thats got another meaning.. Thanks to J,K and K , naaaa, Thanks to John and Kim for that great report. Next year please visit Smith Mountain Lake… No confusion there. Just Smiths.. Every where.. Smiths…… Ahhhhhhh… No spell check.. Googleing.. Just S.m.i.t.h….

26 Responses to “Not So Live-ish From Skaneateles NY!”
  1. Greg Lewandowski

Matt,

My name must really give you fits! Hope to see you soon in Michigan.

Greg

2. Ken Miller

How many cups of coffee have you had so far this morning? I hope no one in your office slams a door, or they’ll be prying your fingernails out of the ceiling. It’s a four martini lunch for you Matt!

3. John Kadimik

Matt, My grandpa did change our name when he came to Ellis Island. You woulkd never stand a chance with the original spelling.

4. Andreas Jordahl Rhude

Ruudsberghaugen became Ruud or Rud or Rude and finally Rhude. Martin Johansen Ruudsberghaugen arrived in USA in 1883 from Norway, nine years before Ellis Island opened up.

Andreas Jordahl Ruudsberghaugen, er I mean Rhude

5. Alex

Matt, after you’ve visited Greg in the deep south part of our fine state, we’re expecting you in the U.P. for the Hessel show.

BTW, here’s a factoid for you. “The name Michigan is based on the Chippewa Indian word “meicigama” meaning great water, and refers to the Great Lake.”

This area is swarming with Indians. Lest they took offense at your suggestion they all change their names, may I suggest you arrive late at night with the headlights turned off? Oh, and I suggest you ditch the WoodyBoater Mobile with its promotional graphics and opt for a plain wrapper Impala. Better yet, a Grand Cherokee.

6. Larry Forget

Sounds like a super day, sorry I missed. Prior Outboarder from Troy, N.Y… I know Art deKalb… Peter Hunn books are great. . Have been to this Finger lake show, great location , great town… Famous for side street seafood I believe.. Pres Clinton & wife would visit there.

Heard Saturday prior national AOMCI pres & N.Y racer , & Clayton Museum supporter RIGGS SMITH passed away. Some of his racers & outboards are in the museum.

Not all Indian names are bad. I can spehl keuka, Seneca, and Cayuga. Sometimes I even get Canandaigua correct. Skinnyatlas just happens to be extra challenging.

8. Captain Nemo

You obviously didn’t go to Doug’s Fish Fry or you would have mentioned it. Best fish around.

9. Bill Basler

Kadimik. Czech? John, if so you’d be right at home in Cedar Rapids. Nvotny. Vlcko. Serbousek. Barta. Kadlec. Svoboda. Nvotny. Ruzicka. Kucera. Novak. Am I close?

10. Texx

Anyone up for a last minute Woody Boater Pop-Quiz?

Without going to your ACBS Directory, who can identify the make and model of the boat “Knock on Wood” in the cover shot today?

For our Czech viewers it’s “Zaklepat na dřevo”

Who will be the first to win a cyber pack of classic wieners?

11. John Ahearn

You want to talk Indian names…How about the real name of Webster Lake in Mass:
    Lake Chaubunagungamaug. Said to translate to “Fishing Place at the Boundaries — Neutral Meeting Grounds” or the more popular “You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle”

Spent childhood on that Lake in my Dad’s Chris Craft!

12. matt

Oh god.. You did not mention that lake again.. lets just move on.. Nothing ever happened on that lake. Not a thing..

• m-fine

You mean lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg? My parents had friends on that lake in the early/mid ’80s. I remember having to memorize the full name of the lake, and we still have a pennent with it spelled out somewhere. I also remember there was some special old boat on that lake from an old people movie or something.

• Dave Pickard

It’s my understanding, that, that man has left the building. But you never know…….

13. John Ahearn

I could tell you a few stories!

However, we did eventually move the boat to Squam…Is that better?

14. matt

No… Just move on.. There is nothing going on here.. Look, over there.. another boat..

• m-fine

Yes, good idea, lets move on and talk about your latest restoration projects. Have you bought any boats lately? Any projects planned for next fall and winter?

• m-fine

OK fine, I give up. How about sharing some more pictures of Second Chance? That boat was on a completely benign lake in North Carolina and has no claims of fame or notariety.