Vintage Snow Storm - 1 Fresh images of the massive snow storm that hit the north-east over night are now starting to roll in to Woody Boater HQ, and we hope everyone is staying safe and warm today. From the images, it looks like this one dumped some major amounts of snow over night.

And as folks begin to dig out today,

Vintage Snow Storm - 2

My boat is someplace under here?

Vintage Snow Storm - 3

Michigan Back To Color, and full of snow machines.
For over 90 years now, since Chris-Craft and Gar Wood first began building wooden planked boats, many folks from Michigan consider wood to be a way of life. And in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan state, some folks share their passion for wooden transportation in innovative fashion.

Hessel Custom - 1

Hessel Custom - 2 If you are in the areas of the big storm, chime in and share your weather related story or with a photo today.

(Vintage images courtsey Boston Public Library)

38 Responses to “Massive Snow Storm Hits North-East – Turns Towns Black And White!”
  1. Sean

Just north of Toronto we got around 16″…

Really not so bad. It reminds me of the kind of winter we used to get when I was a kid.The funny part is, last week I was looking at a green lawn. Who’d a thunk that in February!

Wind made it a brisk walk last night….and left my canoe hull sitting in H20 for the first time in a while :)

• Randy Rush Captain Grumpy

My daughter goes to uguelph, says they got about a foot. Any boat stuff go on around Guelph?

We only have 11″ of snow depth this morning. The lower levels are some seriously heavy wet $h!t but the top layer is the nice fluffy stuff. It is still coming down but much slower than yesterday.

3. RiverRat

Have not ventured out but the table outside has at least 12 inches. Will have to go out to the shed and fire up the vintage 1967 Ariens snowblower also known as the man eater since my buddies dad lost the end of his finger trying to clear the shoot. Oppps! Waiting to hear from the coast of central Connecticut where i believe my brother is buried in multiple feet of snow and big wind.

• m-fine

Somehow I managed to make it all the way through my college years in Michigan without stealing a single “Welcome to Hell” sign.

• Randy Rush Captain Grumpy

Or you could go someplace warmer to steal that sign like hell grand cayman ilsland!

4. Jim Martin

With 30″ on the ground here in Yarmouth, Me. we have a lull in the action. More to come. Snow drifts surrounding the vehicles up to the windows and half way up the overhead doors. Not looking forward to this clean up. Had no snow left 2 days ago.

5. Mark

We got hammered here in eastern Massachusetts. Already 5 times out with snowblower and it is still snowing. Not much sleep.

When the meteorlogist puts a star on your town and call it the “sweet spot” you know that you are in for it !

Fortunately we did not lose power. I had the generator ready to go.

More fun yet to go…..

Mark

6. Alex

Here’s my advice to those of you with abundant shoveling and snowblowing duties, in a picture.

Just got back in from clearing the driveways. Tape measure shows 28″ here. Time for some aspirin.

8. Warren

Cool 68 here….may have to wear a jacket when I go to the riverfront bar/restaurant for live music, fish fingers & beer afternoon snack

9. Alex

Try living in Houghton, MI.

Hopefully you’ll be able to read the #s on this image. If not, enter: www dot pasty dot com forward slash snow.

• m-fine

I was in Val d’Isere in the French Alps in the mid 90’s and the town got hit with more than 9 meters in one night! There was much more up on the mountains, to the point that some of the ski lifts were completely burried, towers and all. My best guess is 75+ feet at least.

They had guys going around with long bamboo poles to poke through the snow to try and find the roofs of the buildings so they could dig them out wih snow cats. It was insane.

10. brian t

Hey, why don’t you guys quit hogging all of the snow. We here on the West Coast would like to have some too ya know.

No snow, blowing like hurricane..sun out, I am still stuck in the Bilge, got half the manifolds and risers on…agony….

John in Va

12. floyd r turbo

Send some down to Atlanta, Snowpocalypse 2011 was our last opportunity. Like mtn biking in the snow.

13. Cobourg-Kid

As usual good ol Cobourg dodged the snow express , we only received 10 inches of white stuff in about 8 hours That’s a lot for us since those of us on the north shore of Lake Ontariowe seldom experience lake effect (unlike Watertown and Oswego NY which get slammed regularly)

Here’s a pic of the Cobourg Harbour post storm

14. floyd r turbo

My cousin posted this from his house in Maine: “I had to let the pets out this morning to go potty….”

15. Jay Wagner

Had eight inches of snow in Ixonia, Wisconsin. Roads were cleaned by morning! Looked nice until freezing rain today, YUCK!!