Thanks to Scott Turner from Aristocraft boats for sending us in this fun report on how they vintagize a new outboard. You may have seen these at various shows they attend, and now here is how its done.
Take it away Scott.
Years ago when we introduced the new Torpedo 16′ hull, we were having trouble deciding on how to power it. For the classic boat enthusiast, most were resisting the new power options as they were not sold on a modern looking motor. What they were sold on was the new fuel injected four strokes reliability, fuel economy, and noise reduction. So when we made our first demo boat, we knew what we had to do. We had to make a new motor look old…
We started off with a new Yamaha 50hp four stroke. This motor was going to work well for us because of the design of the cowling base, it was a nice flat surface where it mounted to work with. So we had our motor, now we needed a cover. Upon our search we found that finding one that would fit the motor was almost fun, walking around a boat graveyard and letting our creativity go to work. For our first cowl we chose a Evinrude Starflite motor, and brought it back to the shop for its transformation into a new cowling.
The more we looked into it, the more we wanted to keep the original cowling in tact as much as possible for the simple reason of noise reduction. One of the biggest selling points of the new motors was how quiet they are, and we did not want to change that. So we disassembled both cowls, and slid the Starflite over the Yamaha cowling, The hardest part was dealing with the gap around the bottom of the Evinrude cowl, around the Yamaha cowl, we custom cut aluminum flat stock, and added tabs to the cover to rivet it to.
Once we were satisfied with the fit of the Evinrude cowl on top of the Yamaha cowl, we used a two part foam, and poured it into the gap that surrounded the two cowls, further reducing noise. I would like to add a note, that you must think about the air intake of the motor, so it will not starve for air. The Yamaha and the Evinrude both had air intake areas under the handle on the top rear of the cowl.
So we did open that up more on the Evinrude, and blocked this area off, so when we poured the foam, it would not block the air channel.
At this point the two cowls were bonded together, and it was ready to start the finish work, bondo, priming and painting. The beauty of this project ended up being able to use most of the factory cowl, so we did not have to change the way it mounted, latched, and we did not have to work about clearance issues around the motor, as we knew the factory cowling had all of that covered for us.
At the end the project is not hard, just very time consuming getting it to fit, and look right. We have done a handful to this point and they all work out great.
This a great project for someone who wants that vintage flair, with modern convenience.
I hope this helps some of your future readers with an different option for dressing up their outboards.
Take care and safe boating