flip2

What could go wrong? Run Emily run!

Thanks to fellow Woody Boater Mark Christensen for filming and broadcasting LIVE via Youtube LIVE this Sunday at 3PM. Thats right, LIVE! You get to watch it all happen. The last flip was less than an inch from the ground. Will it go OK? It’s live and thats the fun. OR not. YIKES!  It’s a 24 Sportsman like Suzy now Scarlet is. So this aint no little 16 footer. Here is how it will work. On Saturday, there will be a test at some point. Here.

And on Sunday we will have the story set so at three PM you can watch. Now, its live here too, so fingers crossed this works!

Here is the video from the last flip! YIKES!

39 Responses to “This Sunday, LIVE On Woody Boater We Are Flipping A Boat At 3PM”
    • Jim Staib

Found a photo of it. Hook a chain fall to each loop on the axle. Put straps around the boat and wheels. A third around the boat to an engine stringer helps control it. Lift the boat off the trailer. Pull the trailer out and the fun begins. It’s here in McHenry if anyone needs it.

boat-flipping-axle

1. Jack Schneiberg

In November we flipped a 15’6″ 1938 Century Thunderbolt. 2 grandsons, 2 son-in-laws, 1 son, 1 friend and I supervised as a medical situation prohibited me from lifting. (Heh, Heh,). No…………really.

Tight quarters – did it in it’s own length and width.

100_3684

2. Mike K

just in time! i plan on flipping the streb in march, but the other way, back to its bottom.

i have a bucket truck i plan on putting the boat on the floor (on it sheer) with the low side on some tires, then lifting the other side with the boom of the bucket and bringing up over the low sheer. then the bottom weight should want to come down (gravity, its the law) ill let it come down slowly on more tires.

does anyone see an issue with my idea. dont worry im offended or insulted daily.

3. Mark Christensen

Jim, thanks for the offer. I have chain hoists attached to an ibeam in the attic that I’m using to flip it. My brother is an engineer and my cousin is a truss engineer, they did the math and it’s all good thankfully! I’m more concerned about replacing the chines than I am flipping it!

My wife sees this on Facebook and our conversation goes like this:
    They’re going to have a live feed of a boat flip?
    Why?
    Well I’ve never seen it done have you?
    Well that’s why.
    She then gave me that “silly boys” shake of the head and went back to the computer.

5. Matt B

I’ll be there to witness the big flip. Hopefully there is less drama than last time…… I’ve flipped a couple boats by myself but on smaller 19′ boats. I had a similar experience as Mark the first time I did one.

Mark did you tell everyone to bring a cordless screw driver, removing the 1000’s of screws is not fun and would go fast with a big group…..

• Mark Christensen

If I was smart, I would have everyone help me remove screws while we’re messing around…. No way I could flip it, uncover the screws and get enough frearson bits together though I don’t think.

6. Bilge Rat

Love the guy in the 1942 barrelback flip video clapping after the crash. Obviously not his boat. Once the boat is back together, I wouldn’t be offering him a ride.

THIS is how you flip a boat John in Va. style…..NEVER leave the ground.

John in Va

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

8. JimF

I have rolled many boats by myself using this rolling a-frame which is tied to the wall. The boat never leaves the tires on the ground. After it reaches the tipping point i allow the frame to move, slowly, and let the boat down, also slowly, a little bit at a time until it is on tires on the ground.

img_0005

• Mark Christensen

Do you do any internal framing to support the boat? or do you just let the gunwales rest on the tires?

• Bilge Rat

Support from friends comes in all forms; physical, mental, emotional.

“Involve me and I learn”…Benjamin Franklin

Good luck on the roll over on Sunday.

• JimF

There is x bracing and bracing between the gunnels all tied to the “legs” bolted to the stringers

9. Chug-A-Lug

I flipped my 18 ft. Glen-L Bo-jest build by myself using oversize eyebolt for boweye and 1 inch x 5 ft threaded rod located at outboard motorwell drain hole extending for’ward through build form.Using the ceiling(2×10)rafters and 2 come-a-longs,lifted each end until flip.(Fat turkey on a spit trick I call it.

10. Dick Dow

The first classic boat I flipped was a 25′ Red&White… Have some pics of that adventure somewhere… 🙂

• Alex

When Tommy Mertaugh flipped my 25SP, I was asked to leave the room just before. That was a good call.

11. Mike K

im in naperville, but not sure i can make it.

suppose to be 65 degrees,

it appears that your leaving the steering wheel on

mike

• Mark Christensen

It was going to be such a hassle to get that and the dash off so I left it. I don’t think it will be a big deal.

12. Captain Nemo

I know a guy who flipped a 1960’s Super Sport by himself. It only took a few seconds. Unfortunately it was at 45mph in the middle of the road.

13. thomas d

I flipped my ’38 chris utility 16ft by myself. sat it on tires, lifted the side, propped it up with a rib, went to the other side and slowly eased it down on some cushions, tires and rolled up tarps. no lifts, straps or chains. not that hard.

over8

14. Jameson

Nice job mark. Look forward to seeing the rest of the project. And yes the chine frames are way more daunting than the roll in my opinion.

Also here is a snap of the 30′ hacker we just rolled. Thing was a beast.

img_20170213_141402261