I have been caught in a design loop now for about a year. I want to design a Burgee for the bow of our boats and can’t decide which design to do? After all our logo has a burgee on it. A little red flag with a white star.

So, in a way that should be the burgee? Right? OR….. is it the W logo that we use on the app, the header and all over the place. Thats our logo?

The white star is from the Titanic as part of White Star lines and well. Kinda Generic. But its clean and simple and in a way our mark as a flag, so we should make the loop?

Even Dr Phil can’t help, but maybe you can. Anyone, so here are the options.

Woody Blue and red?

White? Red Logo?

In real life from a distance

Blue?

W

So, knowing many of you all will have a different opinion. But lets give it a try? is it even worth it? And don’t forget you can find the Sons Of varnish Flags on The Stuff Store. HERE!

34 Responses to “Pick A Burgee. No, Really, Please, Help Me.”

My first choice would be a Chris-Craft burgee (not helpful I know), second choice the blue. I think you neeedthe W logo even if it has a burgee on a burgee. The star is way too generic and would be like an inside joke that very few would understand.

• Greg Lewandowski

I agree with M-fine on the CC burgee. That is what I like to fly and state my WB allegiance with other swag. That is why my Michigan chapter burgee is displayed on the wall at the cottage. However, I would love to hang a WB burgee next to it and prefer the red logo on the blue background with the white trim. It has a very patriotic look!

2. Michael Maddox

In my opinion, the white Woody Boater logo on red is the best design. To me, it’s the most iconic, the most immediately recognizable, and the most attractive thanks to its simple color scheme.

There really isn’t a close second (again, my opinion). The fact that there’s a burgee on the logo makes no difference to me. It’s the whole “W” logo that is so iconic.

3. RH in Indy

Red, white or blue. Definitely with the “W” logo. Just choose one color because I can’t decide- I’d have to buy all three.
    Any Sons of Varnish flags seeing future production?

4. Cameron

Mr Maddox is spot on. The star is too generic and isn’t strongly associated with Woodyboater. The W is immediately recognizable and the colour scheme of red background, white W is brand property. No close second although the reverse may be used where necessary ( on red backgrounds )….in my opinion!

I like the red with the white W. Maybe a blue with white W for AB.

Really there are already too many Burgee’s in my life.
    Abagadasset River YC, Cobbosseecontee YC, Chris-Craft, AGLCA.

• Troy in ANE

And of course we can’t forget the DEYC burgee.

Too many flags and not enough boats. (Don’t tell Sandi that I said that.)

6. Darthtrader

No discussion; iconic flying W on a red background by all means. 4 versions to cover all persuations. Straight up and slanted, large and small. Order them up-sell them out! NEXT question!

7. LehrJet

I disagree with all. Red Flag, white star is the correct answer. If you were representing Nike, you wouldn’t have “Nike” on the burgee, you’d have just the swoosh.

8. don vogt

If you want a lot of argument, ask people to define a burgee vs. a pennant, and whether they think a burgee is required to have a swallowtail. Should be fun.

Red W on white field. For some reason white star on red field reminds me of China not Woodyboater.

10. Sean

The three colour, blue Burgee with red W and white star gives depth, is quickly recognizable and is unique. – very nice.

The White Star on a red background belongs to the White Star/ Cunard Line and may already be their property. It’s not generic…. it’s specific!

• Ron in Seattle

Rick Means is an ACBS member in our PNW Chapter, makes burgees. Made a custom one for my daughters Dorsett. Also makes big ones for man caves.

SkipperRudy.com

11. WoodyGal

Red with W logo! Clean simple and not a design associated with a disaster. Blue doesn’t show up as well.

12. Briant

Forget the blue one, it gets lost, is hard to see from a distance and can blend in with the background, like yours did in the above photo.

I’d go with the WB logo on the red. Sorry, but I don’t know about the significance of the sole white star. The average Joe would have absolutely no clue that a white star has anything to do with WB.

13. 72Hornet

I’m changing my mind. I like the white W on the red background. I hope that does not sound racist. I’m just striving to be PC.

14. Wudzgud

I would go with the red burgee and white W. Stands out better.
    My Grandfather had a Matthews 42′ Sedan years ago out of New York. He too made his own burgee/pennant. His name was James E. Williamson.

15. Wudzgud

My Grandfather was in the Coast Guard and he also had this flag that he would fly at 2 Bells. 5:00, cocktail time. 24 hour ships bell 8 hour watch.

16. FrankofFalmouth

Soo would it be heresy to reverse the direction of the burgee (on the burgee) seems to flow counter to the direction of travel… but then it wouldnt be the logo…. and would they be sewn or screen printed symmetrical or asymmetrical ?

17. Ray Saunders

Bill H. A great source for custom burgees at very reasonable prices is Pamela at: [email protected]. She has done two for me. She is located in Vancouver, BC.

Re WoodBoater, I like the W on red.

18. Jeff N

I love the red with white letters or star. Reminds me of pre war Century.