When I started out to restore Sylvia, I knew I wanted to do it in a way that was true to her history. Every detail needed to be correct. One does not own an antique, we are caretakers. That’s the deal we make with the gods of old charming things. But one thing was for sure, she was going to get an epoxy bottom. I left her sides alone. Re did her decks in the original way. Cloth covered wiring, Real leather.. all of it. But the bottom needed to be safe, and a no soaker. I agonized over this. But made the choice to go for it. And man oh man am I glad I did. When I am gone for the week from my dearest, she can sit up on a lift away from the other boaters wakes and tough wind. Crap doesn’t grow on her, and when I want to I can slap her on a trailer and take her to fun and interesting places. Thats the charm of 5200. I was also happy to find out that in the judging world, its OK. Just be neat about it. Now mind you, two perfect boats side by side, one epoxy one non. Thats another story, and has happend.. I for one would be glad to loose a point. And then trailer away to another place, not worring about my bottom..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- Fuel leak at KBL carburetor junctionWhen I first fired up my KBL engine (first time from rebuild), I spotted a fuel leak at the 3-way ju […]
- oil leakHello, I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what is causing oil to pool on the top of the cylind […]
- 1937 17' Deluxe strutI'm in the process of restoring #71171 which came without the strut, shaft and shaft log. where […]
- trailer bunk placement for a 24' Sea-SkiffI would like to know the correct distance from the keel to mount the inner bunks that run from the t […]
- 1958 Continental white paintI’m restoring a 1958 Continental 21 foot. I’m on my 4 coat of varnish , and going to start working o […]
- What is this adjustment knob on water pump?I'm getting a KBL up and running. I noticed an adjustment knob on the water pump. I've rea […]
- Air in fuel bowlLast weekend on a cruise the M engine died when I pulled back to idle. I flooded the engine trying t […]
- Front and rear deck re varnishing.Preparing to revarnish both decks and upper rails. All hardware is off except windshield and lifting […]