When I started out to restore Sylvia, I knew I wanted to do it in a way that was true to her history. Every detail needed to be correct. One does not own an antique, we are caretakers. That’s the deal we make with the gods of old charming things. But one thing was for sure, she was going to get an epoxy bottom. I left her sides alone. Re did her decks in the original way. Cloth covered wiring, Real leather.. all of it. But the bottom needed to be safe, and a no soaker. I agonized over this. But made the choice to go for it. And man oh man am I glad I did. When I am gone for the week from my dearest, she can sit up on a lift away from the other boaters wakes and tough wind. Crap doesn’t grow on her, and when I want to I can slap her on a trailer and take her to fun and interesting places. Thats the charm of 5200. I was also happy to find out that in the judging world, its OK. Just be neat about it. Now mind you, two perfect boats side by side, one epoxy one non. Thats another story, and has happend.. I for one would be glad to loose a point. And then trailer away to another place, not worring about my bottom..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- carb wedges for chrysler hemi (m 45)I am totally rebuilding 1956 cc capri 21 ft Now working new deck beams, hatches and deck. This boat […]
- Trying to find Chris Craft Willow Gray PaintI have a 1960 Chris Craft Conqueror that, according to the hull card, shipped new with “Deck Paint W […]
- Finishing the hull CC semi enclosed 1951Hi, I am refinishing the hull. It was painted 10 years ago and in my ignorance I let the painter put […]
- K engine - no spark (1954 Sea Skiff)I have a 1954 CC Sea Skiff with a K engine that has not been run in about 4 years. About 5 years ago […]
- Sparton Corp. marine hornsHi,Anyone have a Sparton horn catalog or PDF of the various models for the mid 50's or 60' […]
- The Hull RegistryI had been a member in the past, and registered my hull in the registry. I just figured out how to g […]
- Prop Shaft support strutI am finally at the stage of fitting the prop shaft support strut to the rebuilt hull of my Capri. I […]
- Instrument Lights 1941 18' Deluxe UtilityMy 1941 18' Deluxe Utility has an Instrument Light switch on the dash, but no wiring beyond tha […]