When I started out to restore Sylvia, I knew I wanted to do it in a way that was true to her history. Every detail needed to be correct. One does not own an antique, we are caretakers. That’s the deal we make with the gods of old charming things. But one thing was for sure, she was going to get an epoxy bottom. I left her sides alone. Re did her decks in the original way. Cloth covered wiring, Real leather.. all of it. But the bottom needed to be safe, and a no soaker. I agonized over this. But made the choice to go for it. And man oh man am I glad I did. When I am gone for the week from my dearest, she can sit up on a lift away from the other boaters wakes and tough wind. Crap doesn’t grow on her, and when I want to I can slap her on a trailer and take her to fun and interesting places. Thats the charm of 5200. I was also happy to find out that in the judging world, its OK. Just be neat about it. Now mind you, two perfect boats side by side, one epoxy one non. Thats another story, and has happend.. I for one would be glad to loose a point. And then trailer away to another place, not worring about my bottom..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- KL stalling issueHave a KL (1956) which is giving me fits. It runs fine out on the lake at all speeds for a few minut […]
- 55' Holiday, does this look right?Hello all! My wife and i joined the club and are in the process of looking for a CC to take home. I […]
- Riviera hirnWhat would be the correct horn for a riviera??Statistics: Posted by John Reihan — Thu Sep 17, 2020 6 […]
- Restoring DeckI am about to start on the deck of my "51-18 foot Riviera and need to buy marine grade plywood […]
- 1941 16' deluxe hatch supportA few years ago (10) I damaged my hatch and gave it to a friend that was a good craftsman to repair […]
- Pre war Chris Craft welting/Piping configuration?I am interested to know where the welting was on pre war, 1939 17’ deluxe utility cushions. All 4 si […]
- Gel Coat, Marine Paint, or Varnish for '63 ConstellationHello all, I have stripped my 1963 46' Constellation down to bare wood from the deck, down. The […]
- 1959 283 Tachometer off by 30%I recently bought a 1959 Ski Boat with the flywheel forward 283. Carburetor needed a complete rebuil […]