When I started out to restore Sylvia, I knew I wanted to do it in a way that was true to her history. Every detail needed to be correct. One does not own an antique, we are caretakers. That’s the deal we make with the gods of old charming things. But one thing was for sure, she was going to get an epoxy bottom. I left her sides alone. Re did her decks in the original way. Cloth covered wiring, Real leather.. all of it. But the bottom needed to be safe, and a no soaker. I agonized over this. But made the choice to go for it. And man oh man am I glad I did. When I am gone for the week from my dearest, she can sit up on a lift away from the other boaters wakes and tough wind. Crap doesn’t grow on her, and when I want to I can slap her on a trailer and take her to fun and interesting places. Thats the charm of 5200. I was also happy to find out that in the judging world, its OK. Just be neat about it. Now mind you, two perfect boats side by side, one epoxy one non. Thats another story, and has happend.. I for one would be glad to loose a point. And then trailer away to another place, not worring about my bottom..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- KLC to KBL conversionHi, we have a new-to-us 1956 Sea Skiff, with a few challenges- the one remaining issue is a fast idl […]
- Final varnish coat?What I’ve done so far:This was a revarnish of a 10 year old varnish application and is merely to bri […]
- bimini top hardwareLooking for "Campbell e-z mount hardware.Statistics: Posted by trebot — Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 p […]
- KL generator to alternator swapHave 12v system and want go to an alternator. Any specific alternator I should be looking or? Thanks […]
- Wood repair in VirginiaI have a 1950 CC 18"ft Sportsman and when pulling her out of the water onto my trailer (for a t […]
- Rubber flooringGentlemen, what is the original rubber flooring that was used on 1941 chriscraft barrelbacks,and who […]
- KL generator to alternator swapWhats involved in swapping 12 volt generator to an alternator on a KL motor? Any specific alternator […]
- Graymarine 120 conversionSo, turns out the 1950 18 Chris-Craft Utility project I bought came with a 1956 Graymarine 120 sitti […]