First I have to commend fellow woody boater David Van Ness for having the patience of a Drivers Ed teacher. This guy is a saint. I was agonizing about the various troubles of getting this flat head running smooth. David would talk me through little simple tweaks on a cell phone while looking at boats in Mystic…. AND WOW, what a difference. We had rebuilt the carb, but with a quarter turn of the screw, perfection! That darn rich lean adjustment, sometimes you overlook the simplest things. Now timing is another story and not for the faint of heart. That requires having your 15 year old son drive the boat at 2500 rpm, while you sit in the engine compartment moving the distributor until it sounds right. Dear god! Who thought of that.. Certainly not one of the Chris Craft attorney’s.. HA.. Anyway all that made a massive difference. But for some reason things were just not right. So I put a fresh coat of engine paint on.. HEY! I couldn’t keep bugging David at the show, and that was all I had left in my mechanical arsenal.. Sanded some rough places and shined up the brass name plate, and dang,, double dog dang! she just perked up. I swear to the woody boat gods on this. Maybe it was that the motor just settled into it’s groove, maybe it was the massage from all the polishing, but off she purred. Ya know, when my wife gets her nails done, she runs better too, mmmmmmm Photo above is from Fellow Woody Boater Bill Basler of the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club. If you want to see more engine glamor shots, this is the nicest engine on the web..Click Here..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- Preserving deck woodHave '56 Continental. The deck has been subjected to the elements, varnish is peeling, but the […]
- Stain color opinion?Hello there, being an opinion question, I'm sure there will be a hundred different answers...bu […]
- Clearcoat finishWhat are the latest thoughts on clearcoat finish on wood? Clearcoat over varnish work well? Dry clim […]
- hull const for new build in dry, low humidity climateWhat is the best method for hull/deck/sides build for dry AZ climate?The West epoxy system on planks […]
- Dwell Angle for KLCHi all, I have been adjusting the dwell angle on my KLC trying to solve an bogging issue at high rpm […]
- Bad coil?Having just been towed back home for the second time this year was not how I wanted to start my vaca […]
- Oil pressure dropAt the end of last season after the most use in 3 years my KL oil pressure dropped from 30 to 10 lbs […]
- Peacocks for engine block water drainageDoes anyone have a schematic drawing, picture, or accurate description of the locations of the stopc […]