First I have to commend fellow woody boater David Van Ness for having the patience of a Drivers Ed teacher. This guy is a saint. I was agonizing about the various troubles of getting this flat head running smooth. David would talk me through little simple tweaks on a cell phone while looking at boats in Mystic…. AND WOW, what a difference. We had rebuilt the carb, but with a quarter turn of the screw, perfection! That darn rich lean adjustment, sometimes you overlook the simplest things. Now timing is another story and not for the faint of heart. That requires having your 15 year old son drive the boat at 2500 rpm, while you sit in the engine compartment moving the distributor until it sounds right. Dear god! Who thought of that.. Certainly not one of the Chris Craft attorney’s.. HA.. Anyway all that made a massive difference. But for some reason things were just not right. So I put a fresh coat of engine paint on.. HEY! I couldn’t keep bugging David at the show, and that was all I had left in my mechanical arsenal.. Sanded some rough places and shined up the brass name plate, and dang,, double dog dang! she just perked up. I swear to the woody boat gods on this. Maybe it was that the motor just settled into it’s groove, maybe it was the massage from all the polishing, but off she purred. Ya know, when my wife gets her nails done, she runs better too, mmmmmmm Photo above is from Fellow Woody Boater Bill Basler of the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club. If you want to see more engine glamor shots, this is the nicest engine on the web..Click Here..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- Danenberg ForumHi,Don posted on his site that he may be no longer supporting his forum and it would be going away.I […]
- Stencils for post war painted on CC logo?Hello all, we are new to the site, recovering Thompson boaters that just brought home our first Chri […]
- Spark plug wiresGENTLEMEN,I AM LOOKING FOR PERIOD CORRECT SPARK PLUG WIRES ALONG WITH THE BRASS THUMP NUTS THAT WERE […]
- Need pattern for 38 CC deluxe runabout windshieldThis forum has been a great help in finding all the missing links in my restoration. Now I need a pa […]
- Bottom Paint on an 18' SportsmanI am at my wits end trying to figure out how to raise to rear of the boat enough to finish a bottom […]
- 1950 U18 rub rail trimAnyone have a source for the stainless/chrome rub rail trim for an 18' Sportsman? Or at least a […]
- Looking for Copies of Technical Drawings for My RunaboutGents,Is there a source for technical drawings for my 1936 Runabout? I’m just looking for a copy of […]
- Squeak in Chris-Craft KI was running our '48 Deluxe down Keuka Lake to pull it out for the season and I heard this squ […]