First I have to commend fellow woody boater David Van Ness for having the patience of a Drivers Ed teacher. This guy is a saint. I was agonizing about the various troubles of getting this flat head running smooth. David would talk me through little simple tweaks on a cell phone while looking at boats in Mystic…. AND WOW, what a difference. We had rebuilt the carb, but with a quarter turn of the screw, perfection! That darn rich lean adjustment, sometimes you overlook the simplest things. Now timing is another story and not for the faint of heart. That requires having your 15 year old son drive the boat at 2500 rpm, while you sit in the engine compartment moving the distributor until it sounds right. Dear god! Who thought of that.. Certainly not one of the Chris Craft attorney’s.. HA.. Anyway all that made a massive difference. But for some reason things were just not right. So I put a fresh coat of engine paint on.. HEY! I couldn’t keep bugging David at the show, and that was all I had left in my mechanical arsenal.. Sanded some rough places and shined up the brass name plate, and dang,, double dog dang! she just perked up. I swear to the woody boat gods on this. Maybe it was that the motor just settled into it’s groove, maybe it was the massage from all the polishing, but off she purred. Ya know, when my wife gets her nails done, she runs better too, mmmmmmm Photo above is from Fellow Woody Boater Bill Basler of the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club. If you want to see more engine glamor shots, this is the nicest engine on the web..Click Here..
Comments are closed.
READ THE LATEST STUFF ON THE BOAT BUZZ
- Zenith 263 m carbHave idling problem on my '56 KL with a Zenith 263M carb. When motor is cold, she idles fine. R […]
- Need Auto Lite rotorHave a Auto Lite 1ay 4009 distributor on my KL. Need a rotor. Any sources?Statistics: Posted by treb […]
- Chris craft club burgee repo still for sale?I was doing some reading and I came across the brass bell fall 2008 article on the reproduction Burg […]
- Engine Mechanic in Dallas Fort Worth area recommendationHi all, trying to solve my engine stall problems and looking for a recommended mechanic in Dallas Fo […]
- Correct bunk placement U-22 SportsmanI need some help understanding the best placement for the bunks on this trailer. This is what I’ve b […]
- BlowbyOn our first cruise of the year yesterday I noticed an exhaust smell in the front cockpit of our 194 […]
- Screws for rub rail on 1960 CapriI am getting near to the end of a 20 year restoration (rebuild) of a 1960 Capri I bought in New Hamp […]
- Dry Weight of a Sportsman and Barrel BackHiI am trying to find out the dry weight for a 42 19' Barrel Back and a 39 U22 22' Sportsm […]