The following is from fellow WoodyBoater Jack Beatley. He is, as you might imagine from reading this, rather upset. The boat was stolen from a house that was on the market out of the garage. Needless to say, the sad truth is that it may wind up in a cheap sale type deal, or worse online in parts. The rare flathead 8 may be the reason it was stolen. This is a one of a kind original condition treasure. It is very well known in the Ohio area as a racer and has a wonderful history. Please be on the lookout and report anything you can to the numbers below. We will update with images as soon as we get them. For those of you that are unclear of what this boat may look like. Here are several images of other ones…. And a model….You can also see like it on on Mitch LaPointes site. Here… They are a one seater small Barrel Back. This one is in a natural finish .. Most of them are red white and blue like on the Nelson Boatworks banner on the right hand side of this site.
Stolen 16’ Chris Craft Barrel Back Special Race Boat 1936
Special identifying features:
1. Hull #42044
2. HIN #082-47091-F835
3. Ohio boat registration number OH 4187-AK
4. Engine #F-10AB3850
5. Natural Varnish special ordered hull only by original owner
6. Gauges individual in dash, no panel
7. Steering on left side – black wheel, originally red
8. Ford flathead engine, Sandusky gear marine transmission
9. Two model 92 twin downdraft Stromberg carburetors protruding through deck hatches – cut out crude for clearance
10. Red upholstery, 2nd seat with deck hatch – large chrome thumb turns for locks
11. Four bear claw vents on decks, factory rigged Chris Crafts only have two.
12. Wind shield brackets are early post-war deluxe (finger pincher style)
13. Throttle lever on left side of driver cockpit, not on steering wheel.
14. 18’ dual axle Custom Haul trailer brown/maroon in color, chrome rims, pipe style bow stop.
15. Polished rudder and propeller
16. Currently no name on transom
17. Red bottom paint
$2,000 reward for the arrest and conviction
Please contact Jack:
614-571-4155 (cell) 614-294-7067 (office)
Or Dublin Police: 614-410-4800 Case #09-4771