Ahhhhhhh, more cool boats.. And with.. or without a reserve! I swear, this is going to be one of those days. There i will be with gas money to get home, and deals aplenty.. Now, here are some tips on making this more fun and a way to get a real deal.
1. Bring a trailer.. and for gods sake hide it at the hotel.. Don’t give away your desire to make sweet love to that boat.. Boats with OUT trailers sell for less.. How are you going to get it home honey? is a real deal killer, especially if the old ball and chain is there.. ( “Ball and chain” can refer to a husband as well…otherwise known as a BALLS and Chain) The voice of logic and reason has no place in this hollow ground of the classic boat.. Stay home and watch golf if you are logical..and boring.
2. Have a survey done on the boat you want.. or at least have someone there with you to go through the boat that knows there stuff.. No not Lenny your plumber..You are going to be an emotional wreck, you need counseling.. And yes its all your mothers fault.
3. Research what these boats are going for on the market. NOT what folks are asking, but what they are selling for. There is a HUGE difference.
4. Take the price of the boat and separate the price of a trailer, cover.. etc, so you know what you are getting. Trailers are around 3-9 grand. I have bought boats just for the trailer …..
5. Google the boat. you may be surprised to see that boat in other areas and you can piece together info on it.
6. Drink a ton of beer, get drunk and bid your home for a fixer upper.. PLEASE. Nothing is more entertaing than a guy paying 100K for a $5K boat.. You will want to get sick in the morning.. but we will have a story that lasts for years.. Especially when we see it on eBay in a week for $5K..
7. Know who you are bidding against. If it’s someone that’s all emotional about the boat, like it was his grandfathers.. Stay back.. it’s gonna go big.
8. Have a budget and stick with it. Really. Consider all the expenses. Like, does it need a bottom.. Rule of thumb, $1,000 a foot.. Add in another $5K for no reason other than thats what it cost..And another $10K just because Chrome, interior…yada yada.. Motor. $5-10K depending on the motor… Do the math so you know what you are really buying. A $5K boat could be $35K in a nano second..
9. There are deals to be made at this auction and some very very very fun boats.. have fun..You are going to do it yourself.. have at it, you want a certain boat. Great.. this is a fun event and a ton of good folks are around to help..
10. DO NOT BID AGAINST ME! I have $100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket.. If I don’t eat on the drive up there…
You can click here if you have yet to go to the auction site and have fun dreaming..