Summer and another classic boating season are right around the corner for most of us, but it’s not too late to sign up for one of the many ACBS Chapter Workshops in your area, or the upcoming ACBS Symposium / Workshop in Clayton, New York.
ACBS Past President Dick Werner and his team have been working hard behind the scenes again this year to help get these events organized, including two very successful workshops recently at the Antique Boat Center in Cincinnati, Ohio and last month in Tavares, Florida. Other ACBS Chapter Workshops are listed in the event calender on the Woody Boater homepage.
The next two events on the schedule are the Columbia Willamette Chapter ACBS Workshop this weekend in Portland, Oregon and the big ACBS Three-Day Symposium / Workshop in historic Clayton, New York – Home of the Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS) Headquarters. Here’s the details…
Columbia-Willamette ACBS Chapter One-Day Workshop
CHAPTER: Columbia Willamette Chapter
LOCATION: Lake Oswego Boat Company – West Linn (Portland), Oregon
DATE: April 7, 2012 Saturday
Subjects to be covered:
– Upholstery—care and maintenance;
– Props—understanding the size, pitch and cupping;
– Trailers—maintenance, safety issues, care of wheel bearings;
– Shaft and Rudder packing;
– Staining and varnishing demonstrations as well as a hands on experience
Jack Mayeaux – Mayeaux Upholstery Co.
Greg Bateman – Ryan Trailers
Tom Horn – Thorn Boat Co.
Brian Shefield – Shefield Propeller
Mike Mayer – Lake Oswego Boat Co.
Dave Jerome – Dave Jerome’s Classic Boat Restorations
Jim West – West Coast Classic Boat Restoration
Andrew Werner – Blowfish Classic Boatworks
COST: $25.00 INCLUDES LUNCH AND ALL THE SUPPLIES
REGISTRATION: Dick Werner Phone 503-628-1402 or at [email protected]
ACBS Three-Day Symposium / Workshop in Clayton, New York
LOCATION: Antique Boat Museum — Clayton, N.Y.
DATES: May 4, 5, 6, 2012
– Plank Replacement, Plank repair using epoxies;
– Staining and varnishing techniques;
– General marine engine maintenance and trouble shooting;
– Marine electrical systems — understanding them and enabling you to do better maintenance;
– Outboard motors-restoration and maintenance;
SPEAKERS: Don Danenberg, Bo & Kathy Muller, Mike Corrigan, Dave Van Ness, Scott Smith.
There will be:
• Several very interesting talks given by Tony Mollica on comparing the engineering and designing differences and similarities of the top boat builders of the 20’s and 30’s such as Chris Craft, Gar Wood, Hacker, Dodge.
• A panel discussion with our speakers on the proper way to lay a boat up for the winter, including winterizing the engine.
• Additional topics discussed and demonstrated. We will be breaking up into small groups to allow for hands on experience.
• Time allocated for a behind the scenes tour of the boat collection not seen by the public.
• An outstanding week end of obtaining practical information as well as hands on experience that you can take home and put to use.
COST: $149.00 which includes Friday evening dinner, continental breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, Saturday lunch, all written material and supplies.
REGISTRATION: Please contact: Margaret Hummel – Events Coordinator
E-mail: [email protected] phone: 315-686-4104 ext…223
For lodging accommodations please contact the Clayton Chamber of Commerce. : 1-800-252-9806
And after attending the Workshop and learning all that valuable information from the experts, you can go back to the boat shed – make your final repairs, and before you know it you will cruising across the lake in your dream boat.