Today we are attending the big RM Amelia Island Auction at the Ritz-Carlton resort, just north of Jacksonville, Florida. The RM Auction is held in conjunction with the popular Amelia Island Concours d”Elegance which is now in it’s 18th year. This year they celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911 and Ford GT40, and also the cars of Harry Miller.
The list of collectible cars at this year’s auction is spectacular, and among the cars is also “Edward II” – a beautiful and rare 1930 30′ Hacker-Craft Triple Cockpit Runabout presented by Dave Bortner and his crew from Freedom Boat Service from Minnesota. Dave Bortner said that since they arrived earlier this week, there has been lots of interest in the big Hacker Triple, and we also noticed a steady stream of spectators today during the pre-auction display at the Ritz-Carlton.
1930 Hacker-Craft 30′ Triple Cockpit Runabout
Auction Estimate – $225,000 – $300,000
250 hp, Sterling Petrel, six-cylinder engine. Length: 30 ft.
•One of the most coveted boats in the 1930s
•Bought new by actor Edward Everett Horton, owner for 40 years
•“Hacker-Craft: America’s Fastest Speed Boats,” as advertised
In case you missed the earlier story we did on “Edward II” you can Click Here to see the full story here on Woody Boater
The RM Amelia Island Auction begins at 11:00 AM on Saturday morning and is expected to run approximately 5 to 6 hours. As “Edward II” is Lot 188 of 192, it is estimated to cross the auction block later in the afternoon. But thanks to wonder of technology and the Internet, we will post the results of the auction immediately after the big 30′ Hacker crosses the block, right from inside the bidding area.
Of all the interesting collector cars at the auction, today we noticed two completely different collector cars that are being featured at the RM Auction – both have some interesting history, so we thought it would be fun to share them with you today… Hey it’s Saturday!
1948 Tucker 48
Auction Estimate – $1,500,000 – $1,900,000
166 bhp, 335 cu. in. OHV horizontally-opposed six-cylinder engine, four-speed pre-selector transmission, four-wheel independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 130 in.
•An American legend
•One of 51 built
•The third Tucker pilot-production car
•Formerly owned by Bill Pettit and film legend George Lucas
•Extensively and authentically restored, with notable attention to drivability
Road & Track magazine founder John R. Bond once said, “A little knowledge about cars can be dangerous.” Preston Thomas Tucker was an industry veteran with a lot of knowledge about cars, and he used that knowledge to dream bigger than just about anyone else in the U.S. automobile industry after World War II. The reasons why he did not succeed remain controversial, but success is not only measured in dollars and production numbers. It is measured in lasting memories, and for many, the Tucker 48 remains a rolling symbol of the American dream, as well as one of the most advanced, early post-war automobiles.
Tucker’s concept for his car was revolutionary. He intended to use a Ben Parsons-designed rear-mounted engine, with all-independent Torsilastic rubber-sprung suspension and a disc brake at every wheel. Drive was to be by twin torque converters, one at each rear wheel. The body design was penned by former Auburn Automobile Company designer Alex Tremulis, and it incorporated numerous safety features that Tucker promoted, including a windshield that would pop out in an accident, a wide space under the dash-pad into where front seat passengers could duck before a collision, and a center-mounted third headlight that would turn with the front wheels.
Early in the production cycle, the Tucker saw some of those dreams evaporate. The safety features survived, but the Parsons 589 engine and direct torque converter drive proved impractical. Tucker purchased Air Cooled Motors, a New York manufacturer of small aircraft engines, and reworked their product for water-cooling. He installed it in his car, along with a four-speed transaxle borrowed from the Cord 810 and 812.
Eventually, 51 examples of the Tucker 48 were assembled, and of those were the original “Tin Goose” prototype and 50 pilot-production cars. Public acclaim and desire for the new design was at a fever pitch. Unfortunately, it was all for naught. The Tucker Corporation came under the scrutiny of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The wheels of government ground slowly, and by the time Tucker and his executives were eventually declared “not guilty” in early-1950, the public had lost faith and Tucker had lost his factory. The car once nicknamed the “Torpedo” had been, effectively, torpedoed. – RM Auctions
1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Berlinetta ‘Tuboscocca’ by Vignale
Auction Estimate – $1,000,000 – $1,400,000
210 bhp, 2,715 cc SOHC V-12 engine with triple Weber 36 DCF downdraft carburetors, five-speed manual gearbox, independent double wishbones with a transverse leaf spring front suspension, rigid axle with semi-elliptic leaf spring rear suspension, and hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 88.6 in.
•One of six 225S competition berlinettas
•Second in Class, 8th place overall at the 1953 12 Hours of Sebring
•Overall winner at the 1955 Cuban Sports Car Grand Prix
•Understood to be one of two berlinettas constructed on the famed “Tuboscocca’ chassis
•Offered from 38 continuous years of recent ownership
•Fresh mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment
•Superb entry for top historic races and rally events
The lifeblood of Ferrari, particularly in the early years, was competition. It is a widely held belief that the creation of road-going versions of the competition sports cars existed almost solely to support Il Commendatore’s racing effort. In many instances, engineering advances developed for battle can be traced directly to the road cars, such as the pioneering, weight-balancing use of the transaxle from the 275 series GTs.
Ferrari’s competition teeth were cut along with their continuous progress of the small-displacement V-12 engineered by Gioachino Colombo, the first of which was deployed in 1947 as the 125S. At 1500 cubic centimeters, the power produced was considered extraordinary for its day and size, and it quickly cemented Ferrari’s reputation for technical sophistication. A progression of yet larger engines was developed based on this original design, with many types attaining impressive racing victories, notably the 166MM and the 212 Export. – RM Auctions
You can see the entire collection at this years auction in this beautiful RM Auctions digital catalog by Clicking Here.