Now for just under 5 bucks you can post your own classified ad on the Antique Boat Centers website. This is HUGE! Antique Boat Center has the largest web presence in the world regarding the topic of Classic boat sales. This allows you for just $4.99 to post your ad on there. Now, you don’t get the help of a broker, but you can take advantage of the eyeballs and clicks. Now, of course this brings up the topic. How to place a classified ad that actually helps you. We have seen some train wrecks out there, bad pictures, bad descriptions, bad pricing.. All that stuff. Here is a reminder story that we did back in 2009 about the trading dock.. It still rings true. Click HERE. Here are some simple rules that you should follow that stand the test of time.
1. Take good pictures. All angles, front, back, sides, engine, interior. Trailer.
2. All pictures should be outside, not in a shed, parts, dark etc.
3. Write the history of the boat. All the way back if you know it.
4. Be honest about the condition. The buyer will find it out anyway. So at least be honest up front.
5. Price it to the market, not to your restoration cost. Be realistic.
6. Be available, be responsive on email.
7. Have other pictures available. Yes I know your pictures are good enough, but asking for more pictures is a way to take the next step and feel out the seller. If you are a pain about it, expect to end the conversation.
8. If a well known person restored it, brag about it, same goes for the motor, gauges, etc.
Good luck, this is the time to list if you are doing so. Folks are starting to look around.