Thanks to fellow Woody Boater Walt Stashkiw for sending us in this Live-ish report from the 41st Portage Lakes Boat Show. Take it away Walt.
On June 25 th, the North Coast Ohio chapter of the ACBS held their 41 st show on Portage Lakes south of Akron, Ohio. This show is believed to be one of the oldest of its kind held in the U.S.
53 boats were displayed; in the water, on land in a “for sale” lot titled, Field of Dreams. Boats ranged in age from a 1913 B. N. Norris canoe to contemporary fiberglass craft. Some of the more unusual boats were a 1956, 30ft Chris Craft Constellation, originally from Seattle, Washington. After a 2000-hour restoration, Steve and Susan Littin of Chardon, Ohio took home the People’s Choice award.
It was a special occasion for a very rare 18’ 1947 Gar Wood Utility Sedan called “See Gar Go” shown in the water for the first time since it’s total 10-year restoration. There are estimated to be only 12 of these boats in existence and this one has been restored to exacting detail along with the original engine. This boat was found tied to a dock on Lake Champlain, NY, where it sat sunk up to the hardtop for 30 years. After raising the boat and trailering it from New York back to Ohio, the engine fell out through the bottom of the boat on the highway. Needless to say, it was considered a basket case until Les Demaline of Avon, Ohio spent countless hours and 10 years bringing it and the original engine back to show condition. One of the more interesting boats was a 2014 “home built” torpedo stern 22.5′ runabout called My Passion, constructed by Keith Riedel from Chippewa Lake, Ohio. Keith started out to build a mahogany runabout from scratch and ended up with a “torpedo stern” classic. As he said, his imagination got the best of him. Still, a good looking, unusual boat built without the benefit of plans.
Still one rarer boat was the 1959 Sandusky Bluewater with twin 45hp Mercury outboards owned by John and Betty Scheurer, of Mansfield, Ohio
Three “Amphicars” owned by Tom Hutchison and Dan Henterly also joined the show.The Amphicar was designed by Hanns Trippel, the amphibious vehicle was manufactured by the Quandt Group at Lübeck and Berlin-Borsigwalde,Germany with a total of 3,878  manufactured in a single generation.
The annual show ran from 9AM-3PM with an estimated 5000 visitors and fished with an awards banquet at the 125-year old Turkeyfoot Island Club. Submitted by Walt Stashkiw Photo credits; Gil Maringer