The other day I was asked about the big shows to visit if one is visiting from out of the country. The Clayton show on August 4-6 was the first one I listed coming up. There is a wonderful full event calendar of shows on the ACBS site, but for the big classic boat immersion. Clayton, Tahoe, Lake Dora, Algonac, Hessel, Port Carling are big enough that if you are kinda new to this, and very rewarding.
BUT Clayton has a couple extra bonus points. One, the insane cool Antique Boat Museum. Called… Ready.. The Antique Boat Museum… And this year is it’s 50th anniversary. So this will be a huge year for sure. A MUST GO!
Also, there is a huge classic boat auction. There was some confusion because of a show in the area being canceled and thus.. Well you get it. Things get confusing. Sometimes this crowd can be a little rumor happy. BUT again… this AUCTION IS ON! There are crazy deals BTW. Yes.. This auction is very good. And even if you do not buy a boat, a ton of fun to watch.
So, you get, a boat show with the top boats in it, you get a museum loaded with boats, you get the auction, you get one of the best flea markets in the passion. Very cool one off rare old Northeast stuff….. and, get this.. It’s in the setting of all settings.
Yup, home of the best combo of Mayo and Ketchup, the best salad dressing on the planet. The Thousand Islands. If you can score a boat ride, its a jaw dropping location. Now, you will need to score a room this late in the game, which is tough to be honest. But folks stay all over the area, because its all amazing and dripping with history and texture.
So, if you have something to do that weekend. This will be “a sorry I missed it year.” So.. Don’t miss it.
HERE IS A SAMPLE OF SOME OF THE AUCTION STUFF
· The FEATURED boat is a 1948 Chris Craft Special Rocket with Trailer in Show condition going for NO RESERVE:
· Other highlights include:
· For over 50 years one of the highlights of Clayton’s Annual Antique Boat Show has the Auction which is held on Boat Show Saturday at 1pm. The Auction is a way to buy or sell collector boats, project boats and everything in between. The proceeds from the Auction go in part to fund the many programs run by the Antique Boat Museum throughout the year.
· The team ABA has been working hard over the last few years to encourage boats to be entered at NO RESERVE so that sales are happening and there is excitement through the crowd.
· There is still time to enter your boat in the auction. Contact the team at Antique Boat America directly to enter your boat for sale: 1-800-675-4089