Over the next months as boat show season gets in full swing, we thought we would bring up the topic of props. We have covered propellers, but what about the other kind of props? Set design stuff. Stuff that tells a story about your boat and the mood you want to set.
NOW, this can be tricky for sure and should be done with focus and a certain amount of restraint. Now, this is a subjective thing, so we will point out how “we” think it should be done. Here are some questions to ask yourself when doing it.
Does it help tell the story of the boat? People love the story embedded in the wood.
- Is it period correct?
- Is it over kill?
- NO MANNEQUINS! They are creepy. Hey, just ask your wife….x-wife…. Russian wife? That lady you breath hard on the phone with? BTW, mannequins in the barn is fine, strange, but fine, at a show is .. Well. Goes from Strange to Scary.
- Does it over power the boat? As in too many things that cover the simplicity of the boat?
- Is it in the same condition of the boat?
- Does it help the boat stand out? Imagine four 18′ Sportsman at a show? Does yours have Lily’s behind it? Guess which one won
- OK, those are some rules or questions you should ask. Now, here are some optional ideas if you are thinking about going there.
- Life jackets are always great if they are period correct. Not to many, just enough to tell the story.
- Water Skies, Fishing rods, Old radio, Picnic baskets, Only if they help the story of the boat.
- Towels / Blankets and other fabric. Does it match? We will do an entire story on this.
- Hats, Sunglasses, All fashion, all good if right.For example Stinky has a race helmet.
- Flags, Always.
- Vintage Coolers, Great!
- Cup holders with vintage can or bottle
- Vintage Cushions are always right. BUT, they need to match the period of the boat and help tell a story.
- Tool kit, Tricky, I have one, but its stored away. Out in the open is a tough call.
- Paddle/ boat hook. But no aluminum new boat hook! Have some class. They didn’t just invent boat hooks. Get an old one.
- Theme related creativity. Like Lily’s behind a boat named Lily. Candy, Like Lemonhead handed out.
- Vintage bottle of suntan lotion.
- Anything that may be very specific to tell your boats odd personal story. Was it Uncle Bobs boat? Bobs old pipe, Bob himself in a urn? OK, maybe a bit dark, but better than a mannequin! OUCH!
So there ya have it. A top 20 list of accessory ideas to win the hearts and minds of the peoples choice awards. Even if your boat is a pile of rat turds, you too can win a fancy show! just ask Stinky!