As we all are about to meet up again in Lake Dora in two weeks, There will be no doubt about the topic of conversations in club meeting. We Need More Younger People. Yes. And then the real elephant in the room topic will come up. Cost of Printing, Mailing of magazines and FACEBOOK! That painful 8 letter word. Wait, I need to count……. Yup 8 letters. Or maybe two 4 letter words.. Either way, Facebook is like METHBOOK, once you start, its hard to stop. Trust me, I have tried. But it’s like saying TV is bad. Its just a channel. It’s the content that is what you really are talking about. And the slimy tricks behind the scenes about giving our data to Cambridge Analytics. By the way, watch the HBO film BREXIT, it’s a very simplified way to explain how this all happened.
So, what is todays rant about. WELL, if you are a club, group whatever, Your use of Facebook and METHBOOK addiction may be killing the life of your club. Here is how the addiction happens.
1. You start a Facebook group about your specific club to find new people and keep your group connected. GREAT IDEA.
2. It grows.. FAST, or at least creates the allusion of that.
3. You get feedback and then people creep onto it and try and use it to reach your group. SELLING STUFF usually.
4. Now you have to monitor it 24 /7 to keep the trolls away and sellers, and people from hijacking it.
5. You realize that is a full time job. BTW, IT IS, and in some cases can require more people than you can imagine. There are companies now of over 1000 people just focusing on managing content. Trust me, Edna Johnson your 70 year old club treasuer who also has a facebook page so she is it for your club, is going to get burried.
6. Now this is the part that is going to really confuse you. Your club is shrinking, or flat. Why? Because why pay to join when you give it away for free on Facebook. The ENTIRE reason for a club, is to gather like minds together to talk and share information. GET IT.. You are feeding your competition. And it wins every time. Social Media disrupted more than TV and other media sources, it disrupted Clubs and why they were formed.
7. GUESS WHAT? There are no younger people on Facebook. You are now reaching 40-55 year olds now. Thats the area that Facebook is growing, and Loosing younger folks in the millions. Over 15 million in just one year. Privacy concerns and all. So you are reaching older readers, Great, but not finding younger folks. HERE IS AN ARTICLE ON THE TOPIC.
8. Social media has turned into a never ending crap fest, because of being human. Fights break out, opinions challenged, and one endless series of DOUCHEY trends keep piling up. I swear I just turn it off on a personal level. I can’t because Woody Boater is part of the same problem, and I hate that part of it and am always trying to focus it.
That’s it, not a top 10 list…which by the way is a social media trick. But a genuine effort to try and help. I truly care, so what is our advice as to how to grow? Another list of tips. man this is a crap load for a Saturday morning..
1. Your club is about HUMAN CONNECTIONS. Use social media to drive that only. Be about getting together, be about monthly gatherings, spontaneous gatherings. BE HUMAN SOCIAL. BE A SOCIETY, BE ELEGANT, BE WELCOMING..
2. You are gonna hate me for this. Millennial’s, LOVE magazines. YOU.. Print in a magazine form is a thing. But you need to design the magazine with younger people in mind. There is something more serious and important about a magazine. Its permanent, and not mindless time sucking like digital. Classic Boating, The Brass Bell, are amazing resources and worth subscribing to.
3. Use Facebook for one reason only, to drive traffic to your Website, or make folks aware of your gatherings. BUT, stop selling crap, allowing folks. NEVER EVER TRUST CRAP ON FACEBOOK! NEVER!, even if it on the off chance is correct, it’s so burried in the CRAP, its hard to believe, and thus truth and good advice is suspect. STOP FEEDING THE BEAST.
4. GO TO EVENTS AND SHOWS! GO! GO! Pay the dumb 5 bucks to get in, buy a t shirt and walk around. Meet and talk to people on their boats. If you want to walk around with a big thumbs up and like people in person. WHATEVER, DO IT IN HUMAN 3D form.
Thats it. The Saturday lecture on marketing is over now. Get outside into the barn and make love to your boat today. Hey, its a start..