Yesterdays virtual boat show by the great folks at the Okanagan ACBS chapter. was a hit. is a hit, will be a hit. According to our stats looks like around 4000 of you visited the site yesterday and around 700 went to the show. This is with no previous announcement, and on a Sunday. I also add, the show will go on through out the week virtually here. So I will assume another 400 folks will visit the show. But how is this the future? Sorry BTW.. Hold on, there is hope.
For this year, this will develop into a thing for sure. Here are some ways this sort of thing is a critical key to the growth of our passion.
- Virtual Boat Shows can be used with real boat shows. As a awareness campaign to come to the real event. And after the real event.
- They are very useful. Be honest, you learned more about the boats than at any boat show. The boats stories are part of our boats history. The personality of each owner comes through.
- They are easy, this show was done on Squarespace. A template plug and play website. You can build it, your grandmother could build it. Or Granddaughter more likely. SEE, YOUNGER PEOPLE. Asking for help from a 25 year old.. is a way to infect them with Varnish. Focus on that age, not the 5 year olds.
- Complain all you want, this is the new real, and a very smart way to get stuff out there from a marketing perspective.
- Your small show gets international exposure. Of the 1000 people that went to the show yesterday and will this week, they came from all over the WORLD… Not your area. These are people that would have NEVER come to your town. So you are not loosing traffic to your real show.
- Think bigger. Image your virtual show is done in stages. Week one, the show opens with the boats that are going to be there, but also feature the area. The texture of your town, your history, etc. Then the day of the show is awards and fun voting online. This can be this summer and then expand into a blend with the real show.
- This changes how your club is set up. You will need to recruit someone that can help put this together. Anyone willing to try and learn is fine. The templates like the one used yesterday are all set up. LEARN SOMETHING NEW! You will fail, fail, fail, and then succeed. I started WoodyBoater 12 years ago, not knowing anything, Zip! Nada, Nothing.
- Think long play, not one day. Your show will be live for a long time. Its not just a one day event. And the long tail of it will help your club be seen on Google and search engines.
- THIS DOES NOT REPLACE YOU, it enhances your event.
- FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT DO THIS ON FACEBOOK! DO NOT!!!!!!!! Read facebook, whatever.. USE Facebook to market your event. BUT DO NOT DO THE SHOW ON FACEBOOK. Your virtual show website thing with all the goodies, is your property, and you cant do that on Facebook, and all the crap that surrounds that.
Thanks just a start of the reasons why this is a good thing. People talked about hoping this wasn’t the future. If you read into that. It’s not the future, its already here. And that desire to be there in real human ways is so much more appreciated now. A huge thanks again for trying something new and out of your comfort zones! IF YOU ARE HERE TODAY AND MISSED THE SHOW.. YOU DIDN”T. HERE IT IS. CLICK HERE