Syd’s tool!

Space X, Covid? And yet a slow news day here in Woodyboaterville. Fellow Woody Boater Syd Marsden sent us in a photo of his tool. But no idea what its used for? Spring compressor? A Puller? A thingamabog dingle dangler? All we have is one picture. And since Syd has it, it must be marine related. And best yet, since we may never know, you can make up what its used for.

I know that yellow thing is a tape measure. There I did half the work! And yes for the record, I am still 12 years old and tool puns are still funny to me. So are farts, burps, and bad smelly things!

Another view.

You might like...
« « Previous Post         |         Next Post » »
25 Responses to “What Is It? Syd Needs To Know How To Use His Tool.”
  1. m-fine

    It looks like a knee cap remover. They are usually used when someone gets sunscreen on your varnish.

  2. Chug-A-Lug

    Geez! an easy one! That tool is to make your hand smaller so you can retrieve that screw that fell under your motor.Can also be used to unstick a hand that is jammed under said motor

  3. Tom Gruenauer

    Transmission flange removal tool, tapered wedges force the flange off. Ether that or wisdom tooth removal tool.

  4. Matt

    see! We have all the answers here! Its the internet. They must all be true

  5. Alan Frederick

    Not sure what it’s original intent was but we did have a couple of these in our shop back in Buffalo. Whenever we had a Yates American oscillating 3 drum spiral sander, it required 2 layers of felt under the final paper. These felts were held down with SS wires under tension and we would use these clamps to hold the wires in place while we wound them around into the grooves on the drum.
    Worked for us. I only helped out on a few of these jobs but my Dad had done lots of these repairs for years starting back in the early 1930’s and continued thru the 70’s until the 3 drum Timesaver belt sanders made the drum sanders obsolete.

  6. Todd C

    The “teeth end” clamps onto “whatever – maybe a stringer” setting up the other end as a clamp or portable vise of sorts or visa versa. Assuming the middle slid at one time.

  7. Tim Robinson

    The tool is called a strat fort armature bearing clamester and is used to remove muffler bearings.

  8. Syd

    The center does slide and that picture shows it down as far as it goes

  9. Mike K

    didnt i read somewhere that 5.5″ is average size for you tool?
    this proves it

  10. Floyd r turbo

    It’s a thing a ma jig used to separate a whatchamacallit from a doohickey

  11. Mark in Ohio (sometimes da U P )

    Looks to me like a small adjustable bar clamp. I think that it is from the 30s. Mabie to hold lap streak boards in place for screwing down. Or perhaps for holding gunnels in place for fastening. Orrr a hatch clamp off a Great Lakes freighter. Thats my guess.

    • John Justice

      Also used by divorce attorneys and IRS agents to squeeze out the last nickel.

  12. Steve Anderson in Michigan

    It looks to be from the Piedmont region of Pennsylvania. Some sort of crimping tool? I don’t believe it is a spring compresser due to the sharp points. Would it separate gears pressed onto a shaft?

    • Steve Anderson from Michigan

      It could clamp onto an overhead wood beam and hang a block and tackle from it.

  13. Gallagher on Chesapeake Bay

    Oh please,
    Everybody around here knows that is a flotation device for your SmartPhone.

  14. John Rothert

    nut buster. leave it Troy….fight the urge….you can do it….but it’s a nut buster…or Alan is right…or ????

  15. Bob Killeen

    Before the pull tabs on beer cans 12 oz & 16 oz
    you placed the can between the knuckle &
    screwed down it opened the can on the top & bottom
    For a fast pour. Used @ sporting events or @
    home . 🇺🇸

  16. Butch

    That is aGovernor Whitmer shoulder clamp. She has buckets of them in her dungeon!

  17. Butch

    Obviously, that is a Whitmer shoulder clamp. Commonly found in dungeons to prevent barber shops and marinas from functioning!

  18. Steve L

    The tool is from the 1920-30’s and is an automotive tool used to clamp over a leaf spring and is used to separate the spring leafs to allow grease or oil to be used to lubricate the springs. A similar tool is made by Rolls Royce for their cars.
    This is Probably from a Packard or Duesenberg tool kit

    • Dick Hansen

      Geez, I’m sure glad Steve had an answer, I’d have been up all night.