This year more than any other year we have been doing this, I feel a huge swell of new Woody Boaters. It’s wonderful and exciting. And from talking to many of the brokers, the under 30K boats are selling briskly. Which is entry level stuff. I suppose it all makes sense. Folks that can have relocated their lives to waterfront homes. Me included. And if you are a curator mind set. A person who loves anything with character than a classic boat is much more fun than a classic car.
So todays story is to you, the person that just joined our little universe. WELCOME. First, WoodyBoater is FREE, no membership, no nothing, you dont even have to care about spelling, or even what you wear. Right now I am in my underwear writing this. YUP. In fact I might stay this way all day.
For the record, no question is to dumb. In fact, the dumber the better. Trust me, I still get a tad confused over port or starboard. And don’t get me started on Reed and Prince Screws vs Philips heads. But at some point in your journey you will, and its the part of all this that makes it fun as hell.
Here are some universal truths that will also make you feel better about your recent purchase.
- All our boats have a history of love, and weekend joy. Embrace it.
- They all smell like exhaust and dead stuff at some point. Our new cars and stuff have eliminated the smells of engines. It’s normal to kinda smell a wiff every now and then.
- LIFT AND SNIFF is the rule for gas smell. Gas smell is not normal and your nose is your hero. ALWAYS lift the hatch and sniff for fuel smell.
- They all leak. Water in the bilge, ( the inside bottom of your boat) is kinda normal, in fact you want your shaft connection to kinda have a little drip.
- Breaking down is part of the fun. Have tools on board. Its usually something simple.
- Working on your boat is half the fun of owning it.
- Enjoy your boat first, restore it second.
- Just like in life, her bottom is everything, make sure it stays healthy. Okay that one walks a fine line. HEY!
- When you are out on your boat, it stops time and whats around you kinda melts away into the meaningless crap of the day.
- Everyone starts out saying I don’t want a show boat, and wind up with one.
There are more and more universal truths. But a top 10 is always could click bait for me. And I am sure and hopeful that many of us will comment other universal truths so read the comments. Thats always where the fun is here on Woody Boater.