What year is it?

Things on the railway are going along at “please don’t break my neck while doing this speed”. As in way to many ladder moments, and I haven’t trained Bruiser to call 911 yet.  Bruiser, call 911.. Treat! Bruiser, Daddys arm is buried in his ribs.. Good boy. Timmy is in the well, Bruiser.. Bruiser, stop licking me.. And so it goes..

His Super Powers are starting to show! Frozen in air!

Okay, why a Sausage Day? Well, we have a bunch of snapshots from around the railway that are not a story, but lips and snouts of them. And I wanted to get those out of the way on a Saturday, when many of you are doing other things.

If god is in the details, this is heaven! The textures, the shapes, the painted in time perfection.

The ceiling is insulated to the point that just a Kerosene heater does the job. We have a new design for covering the insulation. Believe it 0r not, Bruiser picked it out. Its beyond cool, and is all part of the Railways history!

I haven’t found any dead mice, but did find this monster. Holy Crap! I wonder if there is any of that Government cheese around?

One of my neighbors here, Lynn Haynie Kellem is an amazing photographer and took this. I LOVE IT! I call it ‘Frozen In Timeless”

And trust me here, we have tons more Railway stuff, and a special Announcement from a long time Woody Boater and an opportunity to mold the future of classic boating! No, really, you can save and mold the future. LITERALLY!

The year this was taken? Yesterday?

24 Responses to “A Sausage Sort Of Timeless Saturday.”
  1. Greg Lewandowski

“Frozen in Timeless” looks more like a Michigan than Virginia scene. Enjoy the weekend.

2. Shep on lake Shafer IN.

Congrats on buying the railway Matt!
    It looks awesome and a lot of fun!
    Also looks like a ton of work!
    I would love to own a small marina like that.
    People on our lake call our place Shepler Marina!
    Enjoy yours!

• Greg Lewandowski

Hey Dave, you got any dock space for Tiger Lily if I visit Indiana? Pretty impressive set up!

• Shep on Lake Shafer IN.

Greg, I will make space for Tigger Lily!
        If you and the wife want to explore Lake Shafer.
        Plenty of room!
        The lake has about 15 miles of lake and river that are navigable. If you know where to run on the river.
        Plus Indiana Beach amusement park that’s on the lake also.
        Let me know!

3. MO Whaler

Frozen – – Lake of the Ozarks is Ice – – Late ’80’s was the last time – – 660′ Lake level is dropping to 651′ – 652′ from usual 654′ winter draw down water level for power generating needs – – More docks and bigger docks today – – Big De Icer questions for Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa and northern folks – – Understand keep shore to dock and ramp area open to keep cables free – – Understand lower the lifts if water is deep enough for best stirrer surface agitation – – Question: Should 3/4hp Kasco style de icer be lowered so it doesn’t splash or hang at 4-5′ with vigorous splashing to remove ice? – – Understand move the unit(s) to different slips or corners for heavy ice Removal – – Question: On 1/2hp Ice Eater, cooling tower design, is 3′-5′ shallower depth best? – – Question: For older Scott 1/3hp ‘No-Icer is 2’ depth best? – – Question: Different techniques for ‘removal’ vs ‘preventing’ in single digit temps? – – Yes, we still have power – – Great Knowledge and Experience here – – Thanks for Sharing – –

• Fred Schwarz

Mo, what I’ve found is that the bubbler brings up the warmer water from the bottom to eat the ice away, from the bottom of the ice. It should not rest on the bottom. I have various camps on timers and adjust the timer to temp and ice buildup. Kasco timers have a thermostat that you can set for the temp you want to shut off. Finding out they fail. Which completely shuts down the bubbler. I bypass them. Nothing better then a set of eyes checking anyway. Imo. As to violent splashing vs roiling water? I find both are pretty effective. I lift the lifts out of the water. Most big boathouses I use 2 bubblers on timers, boathouses are expensive, bubblers cheap. One camp tried to get away with one, 14k worth of ice damage. Insurance wouldn’t cover it. I find the Kasco 1/2 hp 120 volt work well. One place has 2 220 volt Kasco bubblers on a timer, about $80 month in electric here in the Adks. It’s always nice to have a backup bubbler. Old timers say back in the day no one bubbled, never a problem because the ice was attached to the shore, now everyone bubbles, and the damages occur when the ice moved. Bubblers won’t stop the movement of an ice floe. Hope some of this info helps.

I remember when those kerosene heaters were all the rage in the early 80’s.

I was working at the airport at the time and people would by JetA to burn in them. Cleaner / less fumes / no headache.
    If you have any trouble give it a try. (NOT 100LL, Jet fuel)

5. floyd r turbo

Mouse probably died from lead paint exposure. Would that be a vintage unrestored Victor? Hang onto that, you never know.

6. Mark

You don’t want to quote the real Lassie catch phrase with Bruiser “what is it boy – fire, in the barn ?”

7. Chug-A-Lug

We’ll let you set that victor.I hate those hair trigger suckers.Mom used to put peanut butter and a malted milk ball on the trigger.

OH and for what it’s worth I am still singing
    “Fe, Fi, Fiddley, I, Oh, …………………………”

9. Richard Daley

I love the ceiling with the exposed rafters.
    Look forward to how your going to camouflage the insulation,
    I am sure it will look great.
    I am currently designing and collection vintage lumber for a storage building at the lake. Want it to look old with that rustic vintage feel. May need to find some of those very cool lights.

10. Mark in da U P

Frozen on timeless. Like Greg said more like Michigan than Virginia. Our wonderful Coast Guard is going boating today U P style. Have to keep the shipping channel open for the fuel boats.

11. Howard Lehman

Matt, Great stories and photos concerning your latest project with your marine railway and buildings. Speaking of projects…..I’ve restored two Rivieras that looked worse than the one pictured in the header. I do have an almost complete set of hardware (missing one closed chock) for a Riviera should you or anyone else interested in restoring that one, and an MBL. We’re in the double digits ABOVE zero in northern Wisconsin today so its turning out to be a real nice day!

12. rob jones

Long time lurker here. This sympathetic restoration has got my attention like no other. I’m so impressed with your rate of progress and feel like such a slacker in comparison. With that in mind, please tell me you have a hidden army of workers…

• Matt

No hidden army for sure. Wayne and Jimmy and lots of Ben… gay. Wayne is out with a hurt knee now. So it’s Jimmy me and another Jim tomorrow

• rob j

Kuddos to you, Wayne and Jimmy then. The pace of your progress makes my eyes water! The blinding speed of it all!

13. Jeffrey Martinson

Just amazing! You must be tired, but like a kid after Xmas tired – the good kind!

14. Lymehouse

What great picture – Frozen in Timeless!
    I’m imagining a Reedville Marine Railway calendar on the wall for next year?

15. Michael Hagan

How come when I tackle jobs like yours it alway looks like crap and when you do it it looks like it’s all perfectly staged.
    Like looking at a model home staged for sale.

16. Mike D

Matt please be careful with the kerosene heater. It’s producing heat but also carbon dioxide. Get out of there if you get a headache or start to get sleepy.