That’s the life!

Fellow Lake Hopatcong Woody Boater Tom McGowan’s uncle Henry Leer bought the Beck Brothers boat ride and transport business on the Lake in 1947. Beck Brothers started in the 1920’s picking people up at the train and bringing them to their homes and providing tours around the lake.

This is just cool as all get out

Tom shared these photos with the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum, and now we are sharing them with the fine citizens of Woodyboaterville. A huge thanks to our Lake Hopatcong chief correspondent Bob Kays for the gift of un captioned goodies.

OLD TIMER is code for slow as hell

Dad was waiting on that beer all day! Or is it a Sprite. Any can geeks here.. No not you Troy!

Thats the look we all wish we had

They needed more young people as well. mmm She would be 105 now. Ya..

Why Canadians use fenders

The Lake should still offer rides like this.

Are any of these boats still around. I imagine they were used like plow mules

PERFECT summer smiles 50 cents

Been there, done that. You can feel his frustration with something. Dam leak.

WOW, what a fun summer gig.

looks like they upped the price to .75 according to the inflation calculator, today it would cost around 12-15 bucks.

Oh ya. PIN -UP-GIRL.

18 Responses to “Beck Brothers Boat Ride & Transport”
  1. Frank@Falmouth

I think the guy with the hat was Nicolas Cage before he became famous.. He certainly is styling with that hat.. (all about the hat) and those shoes… Looks like he had no problem with the ladies.. and yes thats the look we all wish we had! 🙂
    I love old photos like these, especially whats going on in the background at times..

2. Greg Lewandowski

Well, it sure was worth the wait this morning. Wonderful photos reminiscent of a time that is sadly gone. The images of the boats and people tell such a great story. Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Matt

I woke up at 7 .. That never happens, I feel like I have lost half my day. Thank god Bob sent me these. Photos like this remind me that our history is more full of life, laughter and joy, that disasters and wars

4. Captain Nemo

Great collection of pics. That can he is taking a swig off appears to be a Shaeffer beer.

• Captain Nemo

Shaeffer is the one kind of beer when you’re having more than one.🎶
      That was the jingle if I remember right.

5. Gary Van Tassel

Schaefer was my dad’s favorite. When we christened “Heart Of My Heart” (my Kavalk Classic 19) we used a can of Schaefer in his memory. Was tough to find. Imported it from PA. That bow light has never worked reliably since!

Gary VT

6. Syd

I believthat it was. Schaefer is the one beer to have when your having more than one

7. Wudzgud

Matt those two pictures, one of the young man sitting on the edge of the boat and the other driving the boat look very similar to Alan from Katz Marina. Like the white buck shoes. All classic.

• Bob Kays

I thought the same about Allen! Maybe we can re create, need to find those shoes!

8. Waldo

Notice the lady smiling in the right has her arm in a sling, hope she didn’t try to get the last Shaefer beer and got hurt. Old photos and simpler times. Need to go back when young people have values and were eager for a job running a boat.

9. Tom McGowan

Thanks Matt. Hope folks enjoyed the photos. FYI, the little girl driving the old timer is my sister, Kathy. She turns 68 this month.

10. Tom McGowan

11. Mark in Ohio (sometimes da U P)

Thats cool. Im sure she still is as cute as she is in the picture!