As someone that deals with hurricanes on a semi regular basis, my heart goes out to you all up there. Hopefully here all of us that experience this can help you feel better and a tad bit more prepared and weed through the news hype. Here are some tips.
- Water is the worst part
- If you have stuff in the yard like chairs and tables, set them aside and in a safe place. They will get trashed
- Pull you boat out, or into a hurricane hole. A hurricane hole is a part of your body of water that is more protected than other places. Use several anchor lines.
- Go to NOAA websites for updates. The news is full of crap and over hypes it all to scare the crap out of you.
- Watch the way the hurricane is turning. Where you are and how you will get hit. The wind can push the water in or out depending on when it hits. Remember #1
- Get your generator running. Set up the wires now. The power will go out. Possibly for days. May seem silly, but use one of your cords to the internet. Usually that’s working, just needs power, and you can get your news that way. Okay, also the fridge, and sump pump.
- The weather after the hurricane is always amazing. And you may be able to go boating… in your front yard.. But hey its boating..
- It’s too late to get your insurance booked. They all watch the news as well. A reminder to always keep your insurance updated when its all clear, cause sooner or later it wont be. Its all good until its not all good.
- Take photos, we all love disasters. Hey bad news is clicks and eyeballs, which is why the news hypes the crap out of it all. We are no different here. Hence you reading this. BAM, thanks for the clicks
- As strange as this may sound. Enjoy Nature and its power. Hurricanes are part of life on earth, and can be very cool to watch. I said this is a strange comment. And I am not advocating you watch it from a condo on the beach. That’s insane. But it is true raw power being unleashed.
From all of us here to all of you there. We are here for you. Free advice is always worth what you pay for it. Oh, and expect to be made fun of and jokes. Ya, I know, its not PC, but if that lawn chair rifles through your kitchen window and sprays macaroni salad all over the room. I mean come on! Thats pure gold. SEND PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!