I have often referred to this quote from one of the greatest Creative Directors on the planet, Lee Clow. Many may not know him, but you surely know his work, after all it’s shaped your dreams for decades. And the central spirit of my career. Okay, the quote ” Throughout history, the technology always comes first. It’s just technology for a while, until the day we artists inherit it.”
That one thought, is beyond inspirational, and if you take a left turn, and look at the world of power boating and with the passing of Chris Smith, it all comes to a crashing turning point. The debate is OVER, your Woody Boat is no longer a boat. Period, end of sentence and claim. Your Woody Boat in any shape is a work of art. Period, end of claim. joke all you want. It’s Art, and yes, our beloved Art Armstrong is art as well.
And when I say in any shape, I mean a pile of wood or restored. It’s art. And you my friend are either an artist, or patron of the arts. Art can creep into your life in so many ways, even choosing the color shirt you wear. Embrace it, and don’t think for a second you are being soft of flaky as a pool of testosterone for feeling it. After all even the baddest ass guys on the planet, use art, Just don’t tell them its art.
So what does this mean for your art boat. Here are ten things
- Owning a Woody boat is never going to be rational ever again.
- Restoring one is to be done and paid for like you would buying a work of art. Because it moves you.
- It’s Okay if your Woody Work Of Art Sits in the boathouse and looks great or crappy. Its all part of a painting.
- Know that, you are literally living and playing IN art, and others are experiencing that from outside the art you are in.. Ya, you can read that in many strange ways. Sorry Art, To be clear. NOT THAT ART.
- When you go out on the water, you are part of a photo, painting or experience for others to appreciate, your boat and you make the landscape human and give it perspective.
- Color and texture play a critical role in everything. Embrace your inner Martha Stewart, even Snoop does!
- Follow your “feelings” Let your emotional side take over when you are with your boat. Let it go.
- Follow your senses, use your nose, ears and heart. Your nose may save your life, your ears can keep her alive, and your heart will be soothed.
- Your Woody Boats Spirit is often as important to keep alive, don’t ignore it, become friends with it. After all if you got the Mona Lisa, would you change it? Don’t answer that. Her bottom is fine.
- You no longer own your Woody Boat, you are a caretaker for future generations.
There ya have it, I am sure there are more, and a debate will go on and on. But thats where we are in boating history.
STAY TUNED FOR LAST GASP WEEK, NEXT WEEK! Document your Last Run before you put your art back in her Gallery. NEXT WEEK !