Thanks to Scott Turner from Aristocraft boats for sending us in this fun report on how they vintagize a new outboard. You may have seen these at various shows they attend, and now here is how its done.
We started off with a new Yamaha 50hp four stroke. This motor was going to work well for us because of the design of the cowling base, it was a nice flat surface where it mounted to work with. So we had our motor, now we needed a cover. Upon our search we found that finding one that would fit the motor was almost fun, walking around a boat graveyard and letting our creativity go to work. For our first cowl we chose a Evinrude Starflite motor, and brought it back to the shop for its transformation into a new cowling.
At this point the two cowls were bonded together, and it was ready to start the finish work, bondo, priming and painting. The beauty of this project ended up being able to use most of the factory cowl, so we did not have to change the way it mounted, latched, and we did not have to work about clearance issues around the motor, as we knew the factory cowling had all of that covered for us.
At the end the project is not hard, just very time consuming getting it to fit, and look right. We have done a handful to this point and they all work out great.
This a great project for someone who wants that vintage flair, with modern convenience.
I hope this helps some of your future readers with an different option for dressing up their outboards.
Take care and safe boating