The Non PC Advice As To Were To Stay And Eat In Lake Dora.
I am sure some of you are thinking, hey, I need a place to stay if I am gonna have some fun at Lake Dora this spring. We have been going for over a decade and here is the truth as to what we have found.
1. There is a hotel at the show. Its name changes as do the owners a lot. Its way over priced and not worth it. Several owners ago, they just forgot the reservation and left us hanging. Never so much as a returned email and incredibly bad service. I have been told its different now. But also have been told its expensive.
2. The 0ld large hotel in Mt Dora. Its old, kinda cool, we experienced an overworked bitter staff. The bathrooms are horrible and beds are old. That was a while ago. Never went back. And staying in Mt Dora solves nothing since you have to drive to the show anyway.
3. The old Best Western, now a Comfort Inn in Tavares is well priced, clean, and most of the long timers stay there. I suppose that tells you volumes.
4. The Mission Inn is very nice, the club has a special rate, and is great for family if they do not want to be part of everyday stuff.
5. There are other hotels in the area, but between the Mission Inn and The Comfort Inn, your best bets.
There are some amazing places to eat. I hate even letting you know, cause you will literally eat my lunch and dinner.
1. Coca Cabana – A MUST! Best mohetos on earth, genuine Cuban food and great service.
2. Geovanies. Italian in Mt Dora. VERY GOOD! Small, make reservations. VERY GOOD, the chef is world class. Simple Italian.
3. The palm Garden. LUNCH! GO by boat if you can. Dress code. HAHHAHAAHHAAH! please leave your weapons at the door.
4. On your boat there are some fun places on Lake harris and Eustis.
It’s Florida, Beer is gold, and so is the fried foods.
Dora Canal. Do it.
Lake Harris and Eustes, do it.
Lake Dora, up and down once your done.
Jeramiahs in Mt. Dora….get the Pot Roast…..Staib will be eating + at the bar….always entertaining.
John in Va.
I had some tickets to several great concerts in the area for sale in the classifieds, but I can’t seem to find them now.
Twisty Treat ice cream is pretty good. Not as good as Chick-fil-A‘s but then they only have vanilla and who likes vanilla. Bring on some chocolate dipped in chocolate at TT. Our go to kind of healthy food was Crispers (A chain previously owned by Publix) in Eustis had great sandwiches, salads, and soups but they are closed, 😩
Angelos The Italian place down the road and on the other side from Palm Gardens is good too. Not that anyone would know how to get to Palm Gardens by car. And being a “Long Timer” I found Sullys BBQ. A basic place with good BBQ. And O’Keefe’s right across from my booth at the show.
I just got good reservation at Hampton Inn in Leesburg….nice enough place and not a bad drive….but wherever, don’t wait too long to make your reservation for rooms….they fill up around there fast.
John in Va.
Try Fish Camp off 441 in Tavares. Good docks, parking, and excellent food. Try the specials. 1.98 margs and martinis.
Oh Copa Cabana! You can go by boat & park at the ity dock, nice3 block walk to the restaurant.
i let the wife think i didn’t want to go this year, she “made” me book a room for 5 nights. I hope it doesn’t rain this year.
Oakwood BBQ, Barnwood BBQ are tops. Mount Dora Pizza good. Lake Harris Hideaway, biker wannabe’s, and Boondockers in Howie in the Hills-fun….mediocre menu, on the water.
For accommodations we have had the best luck with VRBO, AirBNB, or Home Away. (VRBO and HomeAway are the same)
Great prices and wonderful accommodations, not much within walking distance though.
The boat on the left was one of our AirBNB’s we stayed in on our way to Dora in 2016 (Wilmington NC), the one on the right is the Late Classic we towed to Dora that year.
Can’t go wrong with the Comfort Inn (less than a 10 minute drive); however, for the past 7-8 years, the Hagerty crew lands at the Key West Resort. Being a sponsor/vender, close proximity to the show is #1 consideration. Thursday rate aligns with Comfort Inn; however, Friday and Saturday nights are approximately $20 more per night. Truly hope to see everyone in 2 months. Tavares is, without a doubt, my #1 reunion venue! Cheers..
I have been staying at the Comfort Inn for a few years after a terrible 2 year experience at apparently some former owners of Key West Inn but the Best Western now Comfort Inn went up a little on their prices and it made me look around so I ended up with a room at the Key West Inn also. One good thing about the location is you can drink beer and walk right to your room from the show/night time activities. We are looking forward to seeing you Carla back in Mt Dora.